Kosher Dr. Seuss
J J Levin
2006-01-26 13:39:11 UTC
GREEN EGGS AND WHAT?

The National Education Association is celebrating "Read Across America" by
encouraging adults to read to children. Of course, Green Eggs and Ham is one
of the most popular Dr.. Seuss books. And, there's the dilemma. How can
Jewish kids celebrate with green Eggs and HAM? So, in honor of (and with
apologies to the estate of Dr. Seuss) here's a new ending for the story:

Will you never see?

They are not KOSHER, So let me be!

I will not eat green eggs and ham.

I will not eat them, Sam-I-am

But I'll eat green eggs with a biscuit!

Or I will try them with some brisket.

I'll eat green eggs in a box.

If you serve them with some lox.

And those green eggs are worth a try

Scrambled up in matzo brie!

And in a boat upon the river,

I'll eat green eggs with chopped liver!

So if you're a Jewish Dr. Seuss fan,

But troubled by green eggs and ham,

Let your friends in on the scoop:

Green eggs taste best with chicken soup!

Jay
devorah
2006-01-26 18:13:31 UTC
Post by J J Levin
[...]
:)
Very funny! Good rhythm.

There is a publishing company that wrote "The Cat in the Hat" in
Yiddish. Maybe you can suggest this to them if and when the do the
book on Green Eggs and Ham!
Devorah at Ari's Judaica
Adelle
2006-01-26 18:44:25 UTC
Post by devorah
Post by J J Levin
[...]
There's a Hebrew Green eggs and ham. Never mentions ham at all. Says the
equivalent of "I don't like it and I won't eat it." Then ends with him
trying and liking it.

Adelle
Art Werschulz
2006-01-26 23:30:30 UTC
Hi.
Post by Adelle
Post by devorah
There is a publishing company that wrote "The Cat in the Hat" in
Yiddish. Maybe you can suggest this to them if and when the do the
book on Green Eggs and Ham!
Devorah at Ari's Judaica
There's a Hebrew Green eggs and ham. Never mentions ham at all. Says the
equivalent of "I don't like it and I won't eat it." Then ends with him
trying and liking it.
There's a Hebrew version of "There's a Wocket In My Pocket". IIRC,
the title is "Yesh Li Jees BaKees", with "Jees" being spelled
gimmel-slash-yud-samech. (What's the slash called?)
--
Art Werschulz (agw STRUDEL comcast.net)
207 Stoughton Ave Cranford NJ 07016
(908) 272-1146
J J Levin
2006-01-26 23:57:34 UTC
Post by Art Werschulz
Hi.
Post by Adelle
Post by devorah
There is a publishing company that wrote "The Cat in the Hat" in
Yiddish. Maybe you can suggest this to them if and when the do the
book on Green Eggs and Ham!
Devorah at Ari's Judaica
There's a Hebrew Green eggs and ham. Never mentions ham at all. Says the
equivalent of "I don't like it and I won't eat it." Then ends with him
trying and liking it.
There's a Hebrew version of "There's a Wocket In My Pocket". IIRC,
the title is "Yesh Li Jees BaKees", with "Jees" being spelled
gimmel-slash-yud-samech. (What's the slash called?)
In English, it's an apostrophe.

In Hebrew, not sure, but I seem to remember "PSIK ELYON: (upper comma).

Jay
(908) 272-1146
J J Levin
2006-01-27 00:01:38 UTC
Post by J J Levin
Post by Art Werschulz
Hi.
Post by Adelle
Post by devorah
There is a publishing company that wrote "The Cat in the Hat" in
Yiddish. Maybe you can suggest this to them if and when the do the
book on Green Eggs and Ham!
Devorah at Ari's Judaica
There's a Hebrew Green eggs and ham. Never mentions ham at all. Says the
equivalent of "I don't like it and I won't eat it." Then ends with him
trying and liking it.
There's a Hebrew version of "There's a Wocket In My Pocket". IIRC,
the title is "Yesh Li Jees BaKees", with "Jees" being spelled
gimmel-slash-yud-samech. (What's the slash called?)
In English, it's an apostrophe.
In Hebrew, not sure, but I seem to remember "PSIK ELYON: (upper comma).
Jay
FOLLOW-UP: Just checked an online dictionary. An apostrophe in Hebrew is
also called GERESH (accent on the GE).

Jay
Shlomo Argamon
2006-01-27 02:26:10 UTC
Post by J J Levin
Post by J J Levin
Post by Art Werschulz
Hi.
Post by Adelle
Post by devorah
There is a publishing company that wrote "The Cat in the Hat" in
Yiddish. Maybe you can suggest this to them if and when the do the
book on Green Eggs and Ham!
Devorah at Ari's Judaica
There's a Hebrew Green eggs and ham. Never mentions ham at all. Says the
equivalent of "I don't like it and I won't eat it." Then ends with him
trying and liking it.
There's a Hebrew version of "There's a Wocket In My Pocket". IIRC,
the title is "Yesh Li Jees BaKees", with "Jees" being spelled
gimmel-slash-yud-samech. (What's the slash called?)
In English, it's an apostrophe.
In Hebrew, not sure, but I seem to remember "PSIK ELYON: (upper comma).
Jay
FOLLOW-UP: Just checked an online dictionary. An apostrophe in Hebrew is
also called GERESH (accent on the GE).
That may be the *official* word (like "sahh-rahhoq" is the official
word for telephone), but the *real* word for an apostrophe is
"tchup-tchik".

-Shlomo-
J J Levin
2006-01-27 12:40:07 UTC
Post by Shlomo Argamon
Post by J J Levin
Post by J J Levin
Post by Art Werschulz
Hi.
Post by Adelle
Post by devorah
[...]
Spoken like a true Israeli !! :-)

Jay
Micha Berger
2006-02-05 16:09:34 UTC
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 02:26:10 +0000 (UTC), Shlomo Argamon <***@argamon.com> wrote:
: That may be the *official* word (like "sahh-rahhoq" is the official
: word for telephone), but the *real* word for an apostrophe is
: "tchup-tchik".

I thought that a tchuptchik is a " used for abbreviation (e.g. Rash"i),
and the single ' is a smitchik (as in Rechov haMelekh G'org').

-mi
Shlomo Argamon
2006-02-05 16:20:14 UTC
Post by Micha Berger
: That may be the *official* word (like "sahh-rahhoq" is the official
: word for telephone), but the *real* word for an apostrophe is
: "tchup-tchik".
I thought that a tchuptchik is a " used for abbreviation (e.g. Rash"i),
and the single ' is a smitchik (as in Rechov haMelekh G'org').
Could be - but I never heard that usage. Perhaps "smitchik" is the
"official-unofficial" word for this? :-)

-Shlomo-
Steve Goldfarb
2006-02-05 16:56:51 UTC
Post by Micha Berger
: That may be the *official* word (like "sahh-rahhoq" is the official
: word for telephone), but the *real* word for an apostrophe is
: "tchup-tchik".
I thought that a tchuptchik is a " used for abbreviation (e.g. Rash"i),
and the single ' is a smitchik (as in Rechov haMelekh G'org').
and I thought a "smitchik" was the remote control :-) that's the word my
father in law uses for it. ("where's the smitchik!?! the game's almost
on")

(the usage is presumably based on the shape - I don't think he grew up
speaking yiddish, so I imagine he picked it up from an older family member
or something)

--s
Post by Micha Berger
-mi
Art Werschulz
2006-01-27 14:34:45 UTC
Hi.
Post by J J Levin
FOLLOW-UP: Just checked an online dictionary. An apostrophe in Hebrew is
also called GERESH (accent on the GE).
As a Torah reader, I shoulda figured that one out myself. :-(
(908) 272-1146
Micha Berger
2006-02-05 16:07:14 UTC
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:57:34 +0000 (UTC), J J Levin <***@optonline.net> wrote:
: In Hebrew, not sure, but I seem to remember "PSIK ELYON: (upper comma).

Usually called a "semitchik".

-mi
Micha Berger
2006-02-05 16:06:17 UTC
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:44:25 +0000 (UTC), Adelle <***@spamcomcast.net> wrote:
: There's a Hebrew Green eggs and ham. Never mentions ham at all. Says the
: equivalent of "I don't like it and I won't eat it." Then ends with him
: trying and liking it.

Actually, there is such a thing as kosher ham. Here's the beginning of the
Technically, ham is the thigh and buttock of any animal that is
slaughtered for meat, but the term is usually restricted to a cut of pork,
the haunch of a pig or boar.
"Usually" ain't always. My wife often serves turkey ham, which is dark
meat cured using a similar recipe. And, as wikipedia later notes about
US law,
For most other purposes, under US law, a "ham" is a cured hind leg of pork
that is at least 20.5% protein (not counting fat portions) and contains
no added water. However "ham" can be legally applied to such things as
"turkey ham" if the meat is taken from the thigh of the animal.
Wanna freak baalei teshuvah out? Invite them to Shabbos dinner, and ask them
to pass the ham. ;-P

-mi
--
Micha Berger "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
***@aishdas.org exactly the right measure of himself, and
Fax: (270) 514-1507 acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham
b***@vms.huji.ac.il
2006-02-06 18:46:12 UTC
Post by Micha Berger
[...]
That reminds me of the charedi PhD physicist the cardiology lab employed
a few years ago. He was writing a computer program for us using wavelets
and I had to pick up the diskette in his house. His wife had left
to do some shopping. I walk in seeing him place a slice of American
cheese over a slice of "salami", making a bracha and biting in. I'm
flabbergasted and he starts laughing and points to the pareve soy
"salami". It was quite comical.

Josh
Post by Micha Berger
-mi